Holiday book sale: Save up to 30% on print and eBooks. No promo code needed.
Save up to 30% on print and eBooks.
On Epigenetics and Evolution
1st Edition - March 1, 2024
Editor: Carlos M. Guerrero-Bosagna
9 7 8 - 0 - 4 4 3 - 1 9 0 5 1 - 3
9 7 8 - 0 - 4 4 3 - 1 9 0 5 2 - 0
On Epigenetics and Evolution, a new volume in the Translational Epigenetics series, introduces key themes from current epigenetic evolution research with contributions from… Read more
Save 50% on book bundles
Immediately download your ebook while waiting for your print delivery. No promo code is needed.
On Epigenetics and Evolution, a new volume in the Translational Epigenetics series, introduces key themes from current epigenetic evolution research with contributions from leading scientists around the world that investigate the role of epigenetic mechanisms in evolution from a variety of different angles, with each contribution combining theory, current research overviews, and applications. This book gives researchers, students, and clinicians a better understanding of the origin of genotypic and phenotypic variability, the role of epigenetics in development and inheritance, how epigenetics may affect speciation and geographic distribution, and the evolution of epigenetic mechanisms in different taxa. Other modalities and subtopics explored include epigenetics in neutral evolution; epigenetics and cellular physiology; Paleo-epigenetics; Archeo-epigenetics; epigenetics and pathogen evolution; epigenetics in unicellular organisms; epigenetic evolution in plants, invertebrates, and vertebrates; and the role of epigenetics in human evolution and its societal impact.
Introduces and examines the role of epigenetic modifications in regulating genomic variability, and thus evolutionary biology, across species
Draws together key themes across epigenetic evolution in plants, invertebrates, and vertebrates, and the role of epigenetics in human evolution
Includes bulleted chapter summaries and key points lists, terms and definitions, and rich use of illustrations where possible to reinforce understanding and actionability of the content
Features chapter contributions from international leaders in the field
Researchers and students in genetics, genomics, molecular biology, developmental biology, evolutionary biology, pharmaceutical science, nutrition, toxicology, physiology, and clinical therapy, Clinicians
1. Epigenetics in Evolution: State-of-the-art
2. Epigenetics within the Extended versus Standard evolutionary theory discussion
3. Epigenetics as a mechanism for adaptive evolution
4. Epigenetics as a mechanism for neutral or near neutral evolution
5. The interplay between epigenetics and cellular physiology from an evolutionary perspective
6. Epigenetics and Genotypic Variation
7. Epigenetics and Phenotypic Variation and Plasticity
8. Epigenetics and Speciation
9. Epigenetics in Non-Genetic Inheritance
11. Epigenetic Variability in relation to the Geographic Distribution of Species
14. Epigenetics and the Evolution of Pathogens
15. The Evolution of Epigenetic mechanisms in Unicellular Organisms
16. The Evolution of Epigenetic mechanisms in Plants
17. The Evolution of Epigenetic mechanisms in Invertebrates
18. The Evolution of Epigenetic mechanisms in Vertebrates
19. Epigenetics and Cognition in Evolution20. Epigenetics, Human Evolution and Society
No. of pages: 480
Published: March 1, 2024
Imprint: Academic Press
Paperback ISBN: 9780443190513
eBook ISBN: 9780443190520
Carlos M. Guerrero-Bosagna
Dr. Carlos M. Guerrero-Bosagna is an Assistant Professor, in the IFM Biology unit, at Linköping University Linköping, Sweden. His teaching and research demonstrate the role of epigenetics in society, and how it can it affect all of us. His research focusses on epigenetics in animal production, and what this tell us about epigenetics in human developmental biology and disease. His research group uses chickens to study how different types of stress, such as handling stress, or stress generated by light patterns, can change the epigenomes of specific cells, and thus influence normal development or disease biology. He has published over 34 scientific articles to-date in peer-reviewed journals, as well as 5 book chapters, and 1 US patent application.
Affiliations and expertise
Assistant Professor, IFM Biology unit, Linköping University Linköping, Sweden