Back to School Savings: Save up to 30% on print books and eBooks. No promo code needed.
Back to School Savings: Save up to 30%
Handbook of Vacuum Arc Science & Technology
Fundamentals and Applications
1st Edition - December 31, 1996
Editors: Raymond L. Boxman, David M. Sanders, Philip J. Martin
9 7 8 - 0 - 8 1 5 5 - 1 7 7 9 - 5
This is a comprehensive text describing the basic physics and technological applications of vacuum arcs. Part I describes basic physics of the vacuum arc, beginning with a brief… Read more
Save 50% on book bundles
Immediately download your ebook while waiting for your print delivery. No promo code is needed.
This is a comprehensive text describing the basic physics and technological applications of vacuum arcs. Part I describes basic physics of the vacuum arc, beginning with a brief tutorial review of plasma and electrical discharge physics, then describes the arc ignition process, cathode and anode spots which serve as the locus for plasma generation, and resultant interelectrode plasma. Part II describes the applications of the vacuum arc for depositing thin films and coatings, refining metals, switching high power, and as sources of intense electron, ion, plasma, and x-ray beams.
Scientists, engineers, and technologists in the coating and thin film fields, and especially those involved in wear resistant coatings in the tool and automotive industries, and those involved in decorative coatings.
Part I: Fundamentals of Vacuum Arc Science and Technology
1. Electrical Discharges and Plasmas-A Brief Tutorial Definitions and Purpose of the Chapter Collision Processes Collective Behavior Conduction of Electrical Current Magnetic Effects Electrode Effects Chapter Summary References
2. Arc Ignition Introduction Field Emission Insulator Enhanced Emission Particle Effects Main Insulator Considerations Breakdown-to-Arc Transition Arc Ignition from Low Voltage Sources Laser Ignition Hollow-Cathode Arc Chapter Summary References
4. The Interelectrode Plasma Introduction The Multi-Cathode Spot Vacuum Arc Experimental Characterization of the Interelectrode Plasma The Interelectrode Plasma in an External Magnetic Field The Interelectrode Plasma Model Plasma-Macroparticles Interaction Plasma and Current Interaction with a Magnetic Field Summary and Conclusions References
5. Anode Phenomena Introduction Anode Modes Transitions Between Anode Modes Theories and Models of Anode Phenomena
Part II: Applications of Vacuum Arc Science and Technology
6. Coatings From the Vacuum Arc Vacuum Arc Deposition Arc Source Designs Rigid-Rotor Models of Plasma Flow Film Growth Applications of Arc-Deposited Coatings Emerging Applications and New Opportunities with PVD Arc Sources
7. Vacuum Arc Metal Processing Introduction General Metallurgical Aspects of Vacuum Treatment VAR Technology Other Vacuum Arc Melting and Remelting Technologies Comparison with Other Remelting Technologies Summary and Conclusions References
8. Vacuum Switching of High Current and High Voltage at Power Frequencies Introduction to Power Switching Fundamentals of Current Interruption Construction of Vacuum Interrupters Application of Vacuum Switchgear References
9. Pulsed Power Applications Introduction Pulsed Power Concepts and Definitions Vacuum Arcs as Switches Vacuum Arcs as Loads References Nomenclature-by Subject Nomenclature-Alphabetical Index About the Contributors
No. of pages: 773
Published: December 31, 1996
Imprint: William Andrew
eBook ISBN: 9780815517795
Raymond L. Boxman
Affiliations and expertise
Tel Aviv University, Israel
David M. Sanders
Affiliations and expertise
David Sanders formerly professor at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory